Thursday, April 19, 2007

FILM - Research: "Placeholder" - Brenda Laurel.

Researching "Placeholder", an installation and 2 person VR system designed by Brenda Laurel, Rachel Strickland and Rob Tow. Its a piece that allows the viewer to become part of the environment, to experience the place, to hear voices telling stories about the place, and to leave their own voices, an audio version of the graffiti scratched into the rock around them.





In conclusion, Brenda Laurel said 'Working on this piece has demonstrated to me that the art of designing in VR is really the art of creating spaces with qualities that call forth active imagination. The VR artist does not bathe the participant in content; she invites the participant to produce content by constructing meanings, to experience the pleasure of embodied imagination.'
(www.tauzero.com/Brenda_Laurel/BrendaBio.html)

For my short interactive film project, I am revisiting a theme I have worked on before, based on "Genius Loci" - A Sense of Place. I intend to develop this further for my major project. For this piece, I have 2 main considerations: the spacial organisiation, how to present the narrative journey, the route taken through a place, and how this can be mapped with its many alternative paths; and how to evoke the character of the place, the atmosphere, the weather, the quality of light, the affecting factors, the passing of time for each individual viewer.
This project will have to work through an interface, but for my final project I would like to have no obvious interface but use a book, embedded with sensors, that would prompt the interaction with the film pieces.

No comments: