Friday, April 20, 2007

The Perfect Label? Reply from Don Norman


Keep thinking about that apple. Decide to send the photo and text from my blog to Don Norman, author of "Emotional Design", whose essays I've been reading lately. Received the following replies:

"Hah
Only the Japanese would go to such trouble. Very clever.
(I sent the photo off to a friend for translation. I'll let you know
what he tells me.)
Thanks for writing/"

"My source replied.
1. it is simplified Chinese characters (I mistakenly called it Japanese), so it
comes from mainland China (not Taiwan).
The characters are indeed saying organic:
simplified characters: 有机衣庄
pronunciation (pinyin): you3 ji4 yi1 (or yi4?) zhuang1
traditional characters: 有機衣莊
meaning: 有机=organic, 衣=skin, flesh, raw? 庄=farm sounds:"

Don Norman

Donald A. Norman, Palo Alto, CA and Evanston, IL
Nielsen Norman Group http://www.nngroup.com
norman@nngroup.com http://www.jnd.org

Prof. EE & Computer Science, Cognitive Science & Psychology
Co-Director Segal Design Institute
Northwestern University don@jnd.org

No comments: